The best kittens, technology, and video games blog in the world.

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Let's Play XCOM: Enemy Unknown

It's time for another classic game - XCOM: Enemy Unknown!

The Long War mod would make it last about 200-300 episodes instead of more reasonable number like 40 or so, and let's be honest - there's no way in hell I'd be able to finish it. Even people with a lot more time than me left a lot of Long War let's plays incomplete.

I got a bunch of minor mods, two most interesting are:

  • Tweaking perk tree, and perk pool for training roulette. This mostly fixes Snipers by making Squadsight the first perk, and delaying Headshot until major-tier perk. It also makes Supports into reliable medics by removing medic skills from the pool.
  • Making alien line of sight a bit shorter to occasionally enable ambushes. This could probably be cheesed by the kind of people who like counting tiles, but I never felt like doing so.
The rest is largely UI. Playing on Classic difficulty, so there should be some challenge, especially since I probably forgot everything about the game by now.

The let's play is almost exclusively battles, with base management in between cut out, as you probably don't want to see me alt-tab to spreadsheet and wiki and counting how much power I need to build when and how many corpses I need to sell on grey market to get necessary space bucks for foundry upgrades.

Here's the first episode:



As usual, episodes coming out once a day, same time of the day, until we win or aliens do.

No comments: